Thursday, January 31, 2013

A New Routine

I have settled into a new routine. Write. Walk. Write. I set out a block of time where I settle in and write in my notebook, and lately, it has been expanding a short story into something more. Once I reach my conclusion of time or round out the story, I leash up the dogs and stroll around the neighborhood. I return and type up what I wrote and add details and corrections as needed. This has allowed me to write almost 7000 words and counting in two and a half days now.
As soon as I set the pen down from a session of furious writing, I feel lightened and elevated. Like a runner's high setting in, I take to walking. This helps settle my mind and allows me to relish in a writer's high. The story will usually work through my head and I figure out where to take it next time I settle in with pen, paper, and tea. This morning, I was glad to think up the next year in the story of Jack that I am currently working on. I was able to get him from the Portland up to Alaska over the course of several months. Now I have to settle in and write.
As of this morning, he was halfway up the coast of Oregon on his way to Portland. Once there he will sell his truck, find a job, meet a girl, and winter over in the city. IN the spring, the two will set on a trip up to Alaska.
Overall, this routine is healthy, productive, and very easy to fall into. I am sure the dogs enjoy their multiple excursion throughout the day and it keeps them settled down when I sit to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment