Friday, January 7, 2011

The Bustle and Hustle of a Cafe

Voices clamor all around. The espresso machine whistles for attention. Clicks, clatters, and taps fill the air. Music beats, falling from the speaker above. Too may conversations to follow just one. A cozy refuge, I have found within these walls. Away from the icy fog and windy streets outside. With one cup of coffee down, I am considering a second one.

It is good to get out of the house. Our heater is costly to use and with limited income, my wife and I have chosen to not use it. To get out into a warm dwelling is certainly a gift. Deep in winter, our house seldom climbs above 65˚F. The average settles around 55˚F. We are constantly bundled up in sweaters and blankets. But I do not mind, I enjoy the plight. We keep ourselves occupied with books, knitting, cooking, games, and talk.

We do not have a television nor the internet. And this limits what we can do. It is interesting. I grew up with the internet and a television, and now, have moved away from the technological addictions inherent to them. I still utilize the internet, but it has become more useful to me and less wasteful. I no longer waste away hours browsing the web, searching for the unknown. We occasionally watch movies on the computers and watch television at our families houses. But for the most part, when we are at home, we have little to distract us.

All in all, it creates an interesting dynamic between my wife, dog, and I. Our dog constantly wants to play. As soon as he awakes to far past my bedtime. He is young and rambunctious ready for adventure. The three of us get by nicely in our cool, cave-like dwelling. Our vegetables stay fresh longer and our bones are well adapted to the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment